Date: 2/11/18 12:45 pm
From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Black Turnstones have yellow legs (sometimes)
Right you are. I recall the the field guides from way back in the 60s made the same omission. I think they based the illustrations based on study skins, where the color had faded to dark on the winter birds.

On another note, that Mike describes the color as yellow, I would describe as orange. At least on my screen the bird’s color is consistent with what I expect on winter birds. This is likely an example of how people describe the same thing in words for different colors.

Jeff Gilligan

> On Feb 11, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
>
> After carefully sorting through the turnstones at Seaside Cove and
> comparing notes with other observers. We now suspect that the
> RUDDY TURNSTONE (up to 5 were reported) were BLACK TURNSTONES showing
> yellow legs, a feature which is under-played in Sibley, but easily
> observed in winter flocks.
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/8221780931
>
> --
> Mike Patterson