Date: 2/11/18 12:31 pm
From: Bob annd Nancy <blnllaval...>
Subject: Ice on the ground
Seems to really increase the numbers of birds coming to the feeders. I’ve had a fox sparrow for the last few days. They usually don’t come in until the ice or snow covers everything. Today we finally got a thin layer of ice. I’ve had about 10 Goldfinches for the last few weeks but today I suddenly have 57 along with a lone male Purple finch and a Siskin.
A note on the Fox Sparrow. He has the heavily reddish spotted breast of the Red fox sparrow found in the North and East but his back and tail are more what my book shows as the slate colored or Rockies sparrow. His back is patterned but grayish and his tail has just the barest tint of red. Grey rump. Could this be a cross between the two?

Bob LaVal
20367 Pine Mtn. LP
Heavener, OK 74937
Phone: 918-653-7921