Date: 2/11/18 10:25 am
From: Heather McSharry <heather.mcsharry...>
Subject: Re: Question: Jefferson Co Snowy Owl
Jeff,

Thanks for your perspective. I agree with much of what you have said in a
case where adjacent landowners have objected to birders on the roads
adjoining their property.

Just to clarify for this Snowy near Currie Road: I spoke to the landowners
on both sides of the road yesterday. I let them know that this was a very
special bird and many birdwatchers could be expected to come looking for
it. While neither chose to invite all interested birders onto their land,
neither objected to safe and respectful viewing from the road. They were
friendly and bemused/amused rather than irritated.

If others have had a different kind of conversation with the landowners,
please share that information so that their wishes can be understood and
respected.

Thanks everyone,

Heather McSharry

On Sunday, February 11, 2018, Hajenga, Jeff J <Jeff.J.Hajenga...> wrote:

> All,
> I would suggest that if there is knowledge that the landowners do not want
> visitors that all consider not going to the area, regardless of adjacent
> roadways. Many often wonder why landowners will not allow visitation and
> this is a prime example of how bad relations can get started.
>
> If it were a permanent location for an occurrence of something it would be
> best to approach the landowner in an organized manner, make them aware of
> the interest for visitation, with all guidelines set by the landowner and
> strictly followed by all.
> For a fleeting occurrence I would not push the kindness of private
> landowners and potentially spoil the future for all. Always tread very
> lightly with regards to private land owners.
>
> Consider if the roles were reversed and how you might feel if people from
> all over the state were parking near and investigating your land.
>
> Just my feeble two cents.
> Jeff
> Athens, WV

Join us on Facebook!