Date: 2/11/18 10:14 am
From: Chris Bartlett <christophabartlett...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Mew Gull update, Eastport
The mew gull briefly returned to the rocks beside Lighthouse Lobster in
Eastport this morning. It arrived around 9:15AM and preened for 10
minutes, then flew to the beach to forage. An eagle flew over shortly
afterwards and flushed all of the gulls. Woody Gillies joined me on the
stakeout from 10AM - 11AM and the mew gull did not return while we were
there. Other gulls roosting on the rocks in the AM were 75 herring gulls,
13 ring-billed gulls, 6 Iceland gulls, and two great black-backs. And a
peregrine falcon was perched in an apple tree on the cliffs overlooking the
beach.

The gulls seem to prefer to use this roost in the morning. High tide
tomorrow is at 8AM and the rocks should be exposed by 9-9:30AM.

A photo of the mew gull from this morning can be seen
here: https://flic.kr/p/23b9quE

Cheers,

Chris Bartlett
Eastport