Date: 2/11/18 9:59 am
From: Mia Revels <0000004e74e60ce3-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Nickel Preserve Winter Bird Count Results
Hello OK-birders!

The Nickel Preserve Winter Bird Count last weekend was great! For those of
you who were unable to attend because of scheduling issues (and my tardy
announcement), future Nickel Winter Counts will be on the FIRST SATURDAY OF
FEBRUARY for the foreseeable future. We are hoping that will make planning
and scheduling easier for everyone.

Eight birders, 6 of them former or current Northeastern State University
students, came out to spend the day counting birds this year. Jim Deming
made it out as well! The eighth one is me, of course. After a morning of
enjoying nature, we gathered at the preserve headquarters to eat hot
soup/bread and compare notes. Here are our totals:

Nickel Preserve Winter Bird Count - February 3, 2018

1. Great Blue Heron - 2
2. Black Vulture- 10
3. Turkey Vulture - 4
4. Mallard - 4
5. *Golden Eagle - 1*
6. *Bald Eagle - 15*
7. Red-shouldered Hawk - 2
8. Red-tailed Hawk - 4
9. Killdeer - 2
10. Barred Owl - 1
11. Belted Kingfisher - 3
12. Red-headed Woodpecker - 2
13. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 13
14. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
15. Downy Woodpecker - 1
16. Northern Flicker - 12
17. Pileated Woodpecker - 5
18. Blue Jay - 41
19. American Crow - 20
20. Carolina Chickadee - 15
21. Tufted Titmouse - 5
22. White-breasted Nuthatch - 4
23. Carolina Wren - 7
24. Eastern Bluebirds - 31
25. American Robin - 163
26. Northern Mockingbird - 5
27. European Starling - 5
28. *Cedar Waxwing - 185*
29. Pine Warbler - 2
30. Fox Sparrow - 1
31. Song Sparrow - 56
32. White-throated Sparrow - 51
33. White-crowned Sparrow - 5
34. Dark-eyed Junco - 182
35. Northern Cardinal - 41
36. Brewer’s Blackbird - 20
37. Eastern Meadowlark - 1
38. American Goldfinch - 51

--
Mia Revels, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology

***CONFIDENTIALITY*** -This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
confidential, proprietary and privileged information. Any unauthorized
disclosure or use of this information is prohibited.

Join us on Facebook!