Date: 2/10/18 10:25 pm
From: Louis Kreemer <lpkreemer...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Skagit area Birding
Hi Tweeters,

Paul Baerny, Alexander Sowers, Sam Shultz and I had a great day birding the
flats and surrounding area. Here's a quick non-taxonomical overview of the
days highlights:

Redhead - Cranberry Lake
Many Iceland (Thayer's) Gulls (at least 18) at West Beach in Deception Pass
Black Turnstones, Surfbird, Black Oystercatcher at Rosario Head
24! Marbled Murrelets off Maple Grove on Camano Island, good looks
Townsend's Solitaire continues, also at Maple Grove
Wild Turkey going up to roost on Camano
A quite light Merlin near Eide Road that Alex IDed as Prairie subspecies,
looking at photos I'm inclined to agree. My first time seeing one that far
away from the forest
4 Peregrines throughout the day
7 Rough-legged Hawks around West 90
The continuing Black Phoebe was easy to find at Wiley Slough and provided
great looks.
Barn, Barred and Great-horned Owl were found in the evening.

A Snow Goose flock of about 10,000 strong was feeding right next to the
road, while we watched, they flushed and flew right by us, always wonderful
to observe. We couldn't find what flushed them, and they soon returned.

A great day, with 99 species, we couldn't find that last one for one
hundred. Next time!

Louis Kreemer
Seattle