Date: 2/10/18 9:34 pm
From: Sharon Goldwasser <azfiddle...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ Lakeside Park Tucson & a couple other observations- nothing rare
I got out late today, and it was breezy by the time I got to Lakeside Park. I didn’t spend a huge amount of time there, but the immature Snow Goose is still there, lots of American Wigeon, Mallards, 1 Pied-billed Grebe and 1 Neotropic Cormorant. I biked down to Valencia and back on the Pantano / Harrison Greenway.

One Tree Swallow flew north along the Pantano while I was on my way back. Otherwise, there was nothing notable.

Some observations that may not be of interest to anyone but me:
I ride this path almost daily, my commute route to work, and have noticed significantly fewer sparrows this winter than last. Last winter I regularly observed 4-6 species along the path between Golf Links and Harrison, and between Irvington and Valencia, but this year it is challenging to find one or two most days, (with the caveat that I mainly have time to look and and listen while riding, and just stop and spot-check a few areas, usually on the way home and currently it’s still pretty dark in the mornings).

Reflecting back to the discussions of Gilded Flicker a few weeks ago, I noted one about 1/4 mile north of Valencia this week, along one of the smaller washes that join up to form Atterbury Wash further north, near Lincoln Park. Since I think of the flickers in association with areas with a lot of saguaros, I just thought it was odd since is the only spot along the path where I’ve ever seen a Gilded Flicker (maybe 5 times over the last year or so). There are no saguaros in the vicinityl, although there are scattered saguaros that start about a mile north of Valencia.

Sharon Goldwasser
Tucson