Date: 2/10/18 2:23 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Common Goldeneye, Rough-legged Hawks - Armstrong County
I stopped at Lock #7 of the Allegheny River at Kittanning today and the number of Common Goldeneye present above the dam has continued to build. Back on 2/6 I counted 25 there and today when I was there around 11AM I counted 42. Even more impressive, Sam Gutherie reported to me that early this morning at that same location a couple additional groups of goldeneye flew in while he was there and at that point he had a conservative count of 61 Common Goldeneye. That number (61) would be the highest count of Common Goldeneye ever entered into eBird for western PA outside of Crawford and Erie County. There were also a scattering of Common Mergansers, Hooded Mergansers, a few American Black Ducks, and a collection of a few dozen gulls, mostly Ring-billeds, that started assembling on the edge of the ice. Even when seemingly not much is happening in a slow time for birding, this spot has a little something going on. Now if we could just get a Barrow's Goldeneye to join the fray! I also took a quick drive through the Worthington area and the Rough-legged Hawks are still continuing there. A dark morph was perched in a tree along Claypoole Rd just south of Rt 422 and a light morph was perched in the lone tree in the middle of the pastures along Green Acres Rd.

Good birding,

Alan Buriak

Gibsonia, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!