Date: 2/10/18 8:32 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Re: Greenwire: FWS turns to cell towers to track whooping cranes
WHOOPING CRANE COUNTRY

Leading field trips for many years, I have heard many things from those who come out for the trips. Democrat or Republican, most often I hear how people just love birds. They just love anything that benefits birds. Whoever they voted for in the most recent election, D or R, they lift their binoculars when it comes to birds. D or R, they load up their feeders.

Then I get jarred when one of these folks says, as I heard on a recent NWAAS field trip, we “can’t afford” what it costs to protect endangered species. I don’t know if this person is D, R, or Neither. Of course this makes an impression on me, since I invested my adult working life for recovery of Red-cockaded Woodpeckers in Arkansas, like the Whooping Cranes, a Federally-listed Endangered Species. I thought about this stuff every working day for 20 years. Part of the thought process for me was what it is our society thinks it CAN afford. For example, not that far from my home in Fayetteville – within earshot many days – work proceeds on a $200 MILLION+ expansion of Razorback stadium on the U of A campus where I spent many years.

Can afford? Can’t afford? Fill in your own blank here.

Back in the 1980s, I made a couple of the spring break field trips Professor Douglas James was leading for his UA-Fayetteville ornithology classes. These were timed so that students had a chance to see Whoopers on the Texas coast at Aransas NWR. There had been maybe 10,000+ in Whooping Crane Country before Christopher Columbus “discovered” America. By 1870, maybe 1,400 remained. By 1938, 15. Something less than 200 Whoopers graced North America when we went to Aransas.

You didn’t have to be a D, R or N to take this trip. Dr James took students to Aransas so they could see for themselves the natural heritage of North America. True enough, many of them just wrote down Whooper in their required yellow field notebook, then retired to beer, but some remained and kept thinking about what it meant. It really helps when everyone is looking at the same, indisputable fact. Those tall white birds out there – all Whoopers.

In winter 2017, 431 Whoopers spent the winter at Aransas. In the winter of 2018, I don’t know if the Ds and Rs are going to get everything sorted out, but by my calculation, 431 is double what was there during our trips in the 1980s. Way way better than 1938.

Maybe, despite our apparent hostile political non-discourse, despite a divide as ecologically significant as North America’s Whooping Crane Country itself, just maybe we remain headed in the right direction. I don’t personally care whether people are R, D, or N on our field trips. Seeing actual birds is where the rubber meets the road.

R, D, or N, most are going to lift their bins for the birds.

________________________________
Published: Thursday, February 8, 2018

The Fish and Wildlife Service is tracking the 2,500-mile migration of the
endangered whooping crane in a new way - with cellphone towers.

Researchers can locate the birds every 30 minutes using cellular equipment.
Previously, using satellites, they could detect three or four locations over
24 hours.

"One of the advantages of that is you have the ability to transmit a lot
more data," said Wade Harrell, FWS's whooping crane biologist. He's based at
Texas' Aransas National Wildlife Refuge, the birds' principal wintering
site.

Using cell towers comes with some irony. Collisions with communications
towers kill an average of 6.5 million birds each year, according to FWS. But
information gathered from these towers could help save the roughly 400
whooping cranes left in the wild.

Right now, the agency said, 17 birds have small tracking devices attached to
their legs. Harrell said the project will expand over the next two years to
include more birds.

The data can tell researchers if the bird was standing still or flying, and
if flying, how fast. Researchers can also select which measurements they
want to receive depending on the season, the time of day or the bird's
location.

"You can change the type of information you're gathering almost on the fly,"
said Harrell.

The data will help scientists learn more about the habitat use and foraging
patterns of the species. It could also tell them if the migratory birds go
out of their way to avoid structures like wind farms.

As with cellphones, calls are sometimes dropped.

"The birds at times are in places where you don't get a good cellphone
signal," Harrell said.

But once the birds fly into a spot with better reception, the missed data
are sent.

Bird advocates had been concerned about how the whooping cranes would act
when they returned to Texas following Hurricane Harvey (Greenwire <
Blockedhttps://www.eenews.net/greenwire/stories/1060061223Blocked > , Sept.
20, 2017).

Freshwater ponds on the refuge were inundated with salt water during the
storm surge, Harrell said. Luckily, he added, the area had a wet fall and
winter, which balanced out the ponds before the birds arrived.

Harvey also left a significant amount of debris in the whooping crane's
habitat, Harrell said.

"We haven't seen the birds interact in the debris areas very much," he said.
"It is certainly something we want to get taken care of as quickly as we
can."

Whooping cranes were hunted to a low of 16 birds in 1941, according to FWS.
The refuge saw 431 whooping cranes in winter 2017, according to survey data.
Harrell began surveying the birds again a couple of weeks ago and said he
expects this year's estimate to be comparable to 2017.

Twitter: @ceceliasmith12 < Blockedhttps://twitter.com/ceceliasmith12Blocked
> Email: <csmith...> < mailto:<csmith...> >

Derrick Golla
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
1550 Crystal Drive, Suite 1100
Arlington, VA 22202-4158