Date: 2/10/18 8:09 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] L Merced Waterfowl
I spent a few slow hours out yesterday, mostly standing in the sun as I
continue to try to recover from one of the bronchial superbugs going
around, bred by our dear friends at big pharma.

Not much that's newsworthy in this bizarre weather, but during the late
morning, there was another Greater White-fronted Goose with Canadas by the
wooden bridge, a drake Cinnamon Teal hauled out NE of the same bridge, and
another drake Cinnamon hauled out NW of the concrete bridge. It's
fascinating to have this mini invasion of only male teal in the city since
late December.

Another interesting situation, though probably only anecdotal, is the high
number of Downy Woodpeckers. I've seen them in most of the sites I've
visited, and so far this year, they outnumber Nuttall's and even flickers
on my city list, a shift in recent trends. Someone was recently bemoaning
the lack of creepers, but they've suddenly become plentiful as well, as
I've been hearing them at many locales.

Brian Fitch

Join us on Facebook!