Date: 2/9/18 5:53 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [birding] Benton Kite correction
This location is very close to Kings Valley Cemetery where kites
apparently nested in the early/mid-2000s (Jim Fairchild may recall when,
I think he was working on a remodel of a house in Kings Valley at the
time).

The area around the cemetery continued to be a fairly reliable place for
kites into the early 2010s, but since then the habitat has gotten much
more densely wooded as then-young trees have grown up. But the
landscape off Price Creek Rd. and Pit Rd. is still open, thanks to a
cattle ranching operation and a Christmas tree farm (which has some
ecologically conscious owners). The habitat is also used by a sizable
population of Oregon Vesper Sparrows in April-July, possibly a dozen
pairs.

The other place in NW Benton County where kites are fairly regular is
off of Priest Rd. closer to Wren, and along Hwy 20 a bit west of there
toward Blodgett (near the weigh station).

Joel

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis