Date: 2/9/18 5:51 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Another Selasphorus in Coos
A green-backed male Selasphorus is hanging in our yard at the back feeder
where one did last year. My wife said he showed up yesterday (2/8/18). The
bird last year did Allen’s type displays, we’ll see if it is the same bird
and hangs around and does those same displays. It is hanging in the exact
spot as the male last year and using the same perches as well as chasing
the numerous Annas off which is what the male did last year. We probably
have at least 15 Annas around now.

Been working up in the Coast Range this week. Singing now: Pacific Wrens,
Hutton’s Vireos and Brown Creepers. Also had a Pygmy Owl calling yesterday
and a Purple Finch doing the single note call that sort of sounds
tanager-like.

Happy birding!
Tim R
Coos Bay