Date: 2/9/18 3:51 pm
From: 'Eddie Bartley' <eddie...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] VV Native Garden & Pier 94
Feb. 9, 2018. Mid 60's to low 70's, another mostly sunny summer day.

Visitacion Valley Greenway, ~10 - 11:30 AM: Bob Hall, Noreen and I got an
eye opening tour of this surprisingly wild hill strip with Yerba Buena CNPS
folks today; mostly botanized and with mostly natives it was quite birdy
active. A juvenile SHARP-SHINNED HAWK got bird alarms ringing and the
butterflying was pretty good too with very large Gulf Fritillary population.
As this 7-10 year old site matures the potential will only go up, note to
check for vagrants - it's a hidden gem that has been lovingly cared for but
needs some volunteer help. Some super cool hardscape and iron work too. Plan
to visit there when in the nabe, mildly surprised not an eBird hot spot for
this significant green strip but temporarily forgot how to suggest it as
one. Ebird reviewers: hint, hint :) Thanks!

Pier 94, 1:45-2:45 PM: 35 species detected during our one hour, low tide
visit. A adult plumaged HEERMANN'S GULL was first I've noticed there in a
while, the two continuing male CINNAMON TEAL were tucked into the rip rap,
at least 7 American Avocet four of which appear to be pair-bonded and toning
up their plumage, 2 LINCOLN'S SPARROW unless it was one that pulled a magic
trick of appearances, one Savannah Sparrow in the salt grass, only negative
data for Song Sparrow.

Happy Trails!

Eddie Bartley

Join us on Facebook!