Date: 2/9/18 3:43 pm
From: B.G. Sloan <bgsloan3...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Sandhill Cranes in Franklin Township + more crane habitat lost? Plus loss of Chimney Swift habitats.
John,

Regarding your comments about chimneys being taken down that host migrating
Chimney Swifts. When I lived in Bloomington (IN) they had a similar problem
with the Fairview Elementary School that was demolished along with a large
chimney. There was a big community effort to build a chimney swift tower on
the site (I contributed $1,000). Here's an article about it from the local
paper there:

http://ww.heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2010/10/10/outdoors.qp-6702411.sto

Bernie Sloan

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 6:07 PM, John J. Collins <jjcbird...> wrote:

> I saw 4 SANDHILL CRANES at the Zaraphath corn fields and 3 more SANDHILLs
> in
> the corn field at Schoolhouse Road in Franklin Township (Somerset County)
> this afternoon. I was very disappointed to see an excavator and numerous
> holes being made in the corn field on Randolph Road which is one of the
> favorite fields for the Sandhills when corn has been planted there. What
> is
> going on there?
>
> Recently here in Raritan Borough, the Washington School has been taken
> down,
> along with its chimney which was host to breeding CHIMNEY SWIFTS and to
> hundreds of CHIMNEY SWIFTS in the fall season. Also demolished recently
> was
> another chimney (a square one) the swifts used at a location on Orlando
> Drive by the Raritan River - a result of the town suing to have the
> building
> demolished (the chimney was part of same) as a result of a fire at that
> location a while back. I suspect there will be less swifts in town next
> season?
>
> John J. Collins
> Raritan, NJ
> <jjcbird...>
> "God desires that all the world be pure in his sight.
> The earth should not be injured.
> The earth should not be destroyed." (St. Hildegard of Bingen)
> "I will sing to the Lord all my life;
> I will sing praise to my God while I live." (Ps. 104:33)
>

> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/
> reporting-rare-birds/>
> or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
> List help: <jerseybi-request...>