Date: 2/9/18 3:06 pm
Subject: Rough-legged Hawk still at AR, no luck with Snowy Owl
Hi all,

Jan Hansen and I briefly birded Alligator River (Dare, NC) this afternoon
from 14:45 and almost immediately saw the 1st winter (2nd cy) Rough-legged
Hawk above the fields east of Milltail Rd, and later soaring and crossing
the road westwards at altitude. We also saw the leucistic Red-tailed Hawk
off Milltail Rd but no Swainson's Hawks there or off Long Curve Rd.

We then headed for the Snowy Owl that was reported near the Old Coast Guard
Station on Pea Island. We walked around the fenced area and along the jetty
from 16:40 until dark, but there was no sign of the owl.

Good birding,

Jelmer Poelstra
Chapel Hill

Join us on Facebook!