Date: 2/9/18 3:07 pm
From: John J. Collins <jjcbird...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Sandhill Cranes in Franklin Township + more crane habitat lost? Plus loss of Chimney Swift habitats.
I saw 4 SANDHILL CRANES at the Zaraphath corn fields and 3 more SANDHILLs in
the corn field at Schoolhouse Road in Franklin Township (Somerset County)
this afternoon. I was very disappointed to see an excavator and numerous
holes being made in the corn field on Randolph Road which is one of the
favorite fields for the Sandhills when corn has been planted there. What is
going on there?

Recently here in Raritan Borough, the Washington School has been taken down,
along with its chimney which was host to breeding CHIMNEY SWIFTS and to
hundreds of CHIMNEY SWIFTS in the fall season. Also demolished recently was
another chimney (a square one) the swifts used at a location on Orlando
Drive by the Raritan River - a result of the town suing to have the building
demolished (the chimney was part of same) as a result of a fire at that
location a while back. I suspect there will be less swifts in town next
season?

John J. Collins
Raritan, NJ
<jjcbird...>
"God desires that all the world be pure in his sight.
The earth should not be injured.
The earth should not be destroyed." (St. Hildegard of Bingen)
"I will sing to the Lord all my life;
I will sing praise to my God while I live." (Ps. 104:33)

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi

Join us on Facebook!