Date: 2/9/18 1:21 pm
From: Scott Loss <scottrloss...>
Subject: Re: NOT a Least Grebe at Lake Carl Blackwell
"Early hatching" might have been the wrong term as it probably didn't hatch
in 2018. However, this is clearly a juvenile bird as it hasn't attained
adult features (bill and body are too small). As suggested by Doug Wood in
a comment on the OOS facebook page, this could actually be a late-hatching
bird from 2017.

Scott Loss
Stillwater

Hi, Scott

It is likely that your bird is a small, non-breeding pied-bill. A
recently hatched bird would likely have the remnants of a striped
head.

Have fun,

Tom Curtis