Date: 2/9/18 10:05 am
From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage...>
Subject: [obol] Signs of Winter!
Roy's post reminded me that I forgot to mention while doing Snowy Plover
surveys at New River, we noted multiple huge flocks of SURF SCOTORS just
offshore of the spit of New River.     I suspect that there were some
3-5000 individuals in about 3-4 huge flocks just beyond the breakers.
Very impressive.   This area is very sandy and flat bottom with no rocky
structure.    This is also an area that has had large numbers of mole
crabs the past few years, but these rafts of scotors were out further
than the breakers.    For there to be this many there must be some food
resource they were exploiting.   At the time they were roosting, not
feeding.

Cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein
POST: Send your post to <obol...>