Date: 2/8/18 4:14 pm
From: Chuck Sexton <gcwarbler...>
Subject: [texbirds] Landa Park Elegant Trogon - recap from midday
TexBirders,

About 10 to 20 birders spent all morning unsuccessfully searching for the Landa Park Elegant Trogon. Several folks staked out the mid-canyon park bench where the bird had been seen in previous days. At 1 p.m., I headed back down canyon to get some lunch. At 1:10 p.m., where two park benches flank the trail on each side and there is a cave at the base of the hill on the E side of the stream bed, I glimpsed the trogon moving between two trees high on the ridgeline to the east, probably 40 to 50 yds off the trail. My view was barely 0.5 second, but I’ve seen many trogons in the tropics and this was undoubtedly a trogon. I glimpsed the shape and some bronzy reflection off the long tail in the hazy afternoon sun. At the time, VERY loud construction noise was ongoing within 100 yds on the nearby plateau top. I could not relocate the bird immediately so I ran back up canyon and alerted several birders. For the next 2 hrs, further searches were unsuccessful. I departed at 3:15 p.m
.

The Travis RBA reported at 5:19 p.m. that the trogon was once again being seen “halfway up Panther Cyn Trail”.

Happy Chasing!

Chuck Sexton
Austin, TXEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!