Date: 2/8/18 2:33 pm
From: Stewart Wechsler <ecostewart...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Need Raptor ID Help
Alex,

I would agree with your first assessment, that it is indeed a Cooper's
Hawk. Look at how narrow the final black band is on the tail, and compare
it to photos on the internet of Broad-winged Hawks, with broader final
black bands, and may be fewer black bands. That said, I am not certain it
isn't a Sharp-shinned Hawk. It would be helpful to get an idea of the
size, crow-sized for a Cooper's , big jay sized for a Sharp-shinned, but
the tail on your photo shows the better rounding at the end, that is more a
feature of the Cooper's Hawk, while the Sharp-shinned is a bit more
squarred at the end, at times with a better defined notch in the center.
Also, we don't get many Broad-winged Hawks in our area, which is partly why
I always want to know where a photo was taken, ideally with some habitat
information..

-Stewart Wechsler
www.stewardshipadventures.com