Date: 2/8/18 2:11 pm
From: B.G. Sloan <bgsloan3...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] The frustrations of wild goose chases
Marc,

I have watched a truck with US Department of Agriculture labeling do
the same thing several times this winter in Johnson Park (Middlesex
County). Light colored pickup truck with a red kayak in the back.
Drives out on the park lawn with the obvious intention of chasing away
a flock of geese. Doesn't seem like a particularly effective method to
chase away geese, since they are always there....

Bernie Sloan
Highland Park

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 4:24 PM, CHELEMER, MARC J <mc2496...> wrote:
> Jerseybirders,
>
> David Bernstein's exceptional find of a Pink-footed Goose in Warinanco Park (Roselle, NJ) last week occurred when I was in the middle of a conference call. I eventually got to the park (much later), but there was not a single goose to be found in the entire area, nor in nearby smaller parks. Oh well, I thought, chalk up a miss.
>
> Today, David reported the bird back in Warinanco and I was AGAIN on a conference call. This time, I headed right for my car when it was over. I arrived at the area and saw loads of geese, both in the pond and in the area where Ray Duffy, in a follow-on post, had indicated that the Pink-footed Goose was feeding with a small, separate group of Canadas.
>
> As I rounded the pond, I noticed a white truck turning off the road, onto a sidewalk, and heading right towards the geese! With heart sinking, I found a parking space, exited my car, only to hear and see the entire gaggle...all the birds which had been in the water and the small flock where the PFGO had been...take wing with loud alarm calls and fly off to the southeast, out of the park. Talk about being a minute too late. I met Ed Zboyan, who said that the truck had State of New Jersey markings; it was a wildlife management department truck, and it clearly intentionally drove right into the goose flock with the intent to flush them.
>
> Besides the incredible frustration at having missed this fine bird, again, by literally one minute (I probably could have seen it if I had just stopped my car along the road and scanned the small flock, as it took a few moments for the truck to flush them-they were the furthest group from the roadway), I am wondering if anyone knows why the State does this: have users of the park complained about the geese and their droppings? Is there the perception that wild geese should not be encouraged to feed on grass?
>
> Hoping that the bird and its CANG companions return tomorrow; if so, I'll be back.
>
> Good birding,
>
> Marc Chelemer
> Tenafly
>

> How to report NJ bird sightings: see <www.njbrc.com/index.php/reporting-rare-birds/>