Date: 2/8/18 12:47 pm
From: Clayton Koonce <cg.koonce...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Hooded merganser attacks horned grebe; Lake Kittamaqundi

Birding at Lake Kittamaqundi in Columbia was interesting today. A horned grebe and a female lesser scaup were mixing with a flock of hooded mergansers. (Second time a female LESC has been here this week.) Suddenly, one female hoodie decided that she didn't like the grebe and proceeded to attack it. She didn't stop until she chased the grebe out of the flock, although the grebe eventually rejoined the mergansers without any further trouble. My photos taken from across the lake are fuzzy but show a rather ferocious hooded merganser and a confused horned grebe. (It is a female hoodie, not an immature male?) I'm attaching one photo here, and my sequence showing the attack is included in the eBird list linked below.

Additionally, a relatively large flock of cedar waxwings was active on trees near the restaurant row at the Lakefront. I count at least 110 in my photos of the flock. Bonnie Ott was observing them already and said they had been feeding on hawthorn berries at that spot for a couple of hours. (I'm looking forward to Bonnie's presentation on sparrows at the Howard County Bird Club meeting tonight.)

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42597001

Clayton Koonce
Columbia, Maryland
member, Howard County Bird Club