Date: 2/8/18 11:40 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Many Redpolls At The Chicago Botanic Garden Thur 2-8-18
Hello Bird People,

For the 1st time in about 3 weeks I felt well enough to look for birds
& although I am not up to top level I thought I should get some
birding in before we are hit by by snow on Friday & Saturday. It was
only about 19 degrees but it wasn't windy & although I didn't see
anything special I was glad to have made the effort. Here's what I
saw:

Chicago Botanic Garden (8:30-10:45 a.m.)

Open Water Area By Dundee Rd

Canada Geese (~225), Mallard (19), GREAT BLUE HERON (1) & Coot (2)
(The previously seen Wood Duck, Hooded & Red Breasted Mergs were gone.)

Feeders & Trees From The Regenstein Building, Evening Island & The
Vegetable Garden

Red Tailed Hawk (1 fly-by)
Downy (2) & Hairy (1) Woodpeckers
Crows (2 by the entrance road)
Chickadee (5-6) & Red Breasted Nuthatch (2)
(In the conifers north of the Regenstein Building)
Robin (2) & CEDAR WAXWING (2) (In the red berry trees)
Junco (8-10)
COMMON REDPOLL (80-100, everywhere, especially the thistle feeders,
birch & conifers)
(One possible Hoary but didn't see long enough.)
Pine Siskin (4 seen, heard more)
House Sparrow (1 in with the Redpolls on the ground by the feeders)

(It was quite a battle ground at the thistle feeders with the Redpolls
fighting for position. The only other bird to even try to get at this
supply were a few Siskins. The Chickadees gave up.)

Bird-Of-The-Day to a male Redpoll which was not red/pink in color but
was a very bright orange where it should have been red/pink. I have
never seen a Redpoll quite like that?
Runner-Up to the Cedar Waxwings.

Al Stokie
Making the best of it in Cook County today although not feeling the best

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: