Date: 2/8/18 6:39 am
From: Rose M Joy <0000049fa5a9715e-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] Question about Bald Eagle Behavior
Hi,
My guess is that the Bald eagle was probably trying to steal the Great Blue Heron’s prey. Eagles are known to nest near GBH rookeries, as they prefer the same type of trees to build their nests on. I have heard of them preying on their chicks, but not an adult. There is a nesting pair of Bald Eagles at the Great Swamp NWR, but I’m not sure if this Bald Eagle was one of the pair. The Raptor Trust has reported just the other day, that a Bald Eagle has been visiting Uno, their resident Bald Eagle. Crazy, isn’t it?

Rose in Somerset
> On Feb 7, 2018, at 2:17 PM, Jim Grieshaber <jgrieshaber44...> wrote:
>
> Location: Great Swamp NWR Tuesday 2-6-2018 11:00 AM
>

> As I walked toward the Overlook parking lot and crossed the bridge that
> traverses the Great Brook (North Gate), two large birds flying at me on my
> left side startled me. I immediately saw that one was a Great Blue Heron
> and for a second assumed both were the same. I quickly realized the bird on
> the left was a mature Bald Eagle!
>

> I had only just touched the camera hanging at my side (not that I would
> have gotten a decent BIF shot) when they separated. The heron landed on the
> left bank of the creek; the Bald Eagle landed in a tree on the left side of
> the creek. Both birds were only 15 feet from the bridge. The heron cowered
> and made what seemed to be noises of distress while the eagle watched it.
>

> I waited, camera ready, thinking I might have a chance of a photo showing
> the heron making a run for it with the eagle in hot pursuit. But after
> 5-minutes the eagle got impatient and flew to a distant snag, north of the
> bridge. The heron maintained its safe position. I later saw the eagle (I
> assume it was the same one.) in a tree beyond the pond south of the bridge.
>

> My question is: Do Bald Eagles ‘harass’ Great Blue Herons or was it
> ‘preying’ on the heron?
>

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/jim_grieshaber/
>

> Thanks,
>

> Jim Grieshaber