Date: 2/7/18 11:15 pm
From: Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...>
Subject: [obol] Saw-whet Suprise
No, I didn't actually cook a Saw-whet Owl...

I was out at about 8:00 this evening going to shut our chickens in for the
night when a Saw-whet Owl took of from the doorknob of the chicken coop. He
stayed up in the oak tree beside the coop allowing for amazing views with a
flashlight. Normally I would think this was just a really really cool
coincidence that he was perching on that handle, but this is the second
time in a week that he has done that (the first time I almost fell down: he
almost bowled right into my face!). Here's the thing: there is a GIANT
mouse population in that chicken coop (and I mean like twenty mice
scattering when I open the door. I'm trying to think up some movie
reference...). There is a space in the rafters where he could get in. So
could he have realized that he could hunt mice in there? If so, he was just
sitting on the door in a food coma. That would be some great adaptive
raptor behavior (yes, I know he isn't really a raptor raptor). Or did he
just perch on the doorknob twice?...

Jacob Mathison
jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography

<http://jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography>
"If you keep a green tree in your heart, perhaps a singing bird will
come." ~Chinese Proverb

Join us on Facebook!