Date: 2/7/18 8:38 pm
From: Denny Granstrand <dgranstrand...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] White-headed Woodpecker at General Hitchcock Campground on Mt. Lemmon today
I know this report is going to be met with massive skepticism.

This afternoon at about 3:45 p.m., I saw a White-headed Woodpecker in the
General Hitchcock Campground on Mt. Lemmon. It was perched high in a large
pine tree, fully visible on a limb in good light.

Here is my description on my eBird report:

"Black woodpecker with white head except for nape. Small red patch between
white on head and black on nape. Small white patch on primaries when
perched was the only color on body and wings. When it flew a small white
wing patch was visible. The wing patch was smaller than that of an Acorn
Woodpecker."

I viewed the woodpecker for about 10 seconds before it flew off to the NNE
toward the hill on the north side of the campground, before I could get a
photo of it. I did not see it again.

I live in Yakima, WA. In Yakima County, where there are large stands of
ponderosa pine forests with a fairly good population of White-headed
Woodpeckers. I have seen many White-headed Woodpeckers over my years of
birding and have photographed many of them. I am quite experienced with
this species. I am very confident that I did see a White-headed Woodpecker
today.

It appears from the official Arizona State bird list that a White-headed
Woodpecker has never been seen in Arizona. Mt. Lemmon seems to be a very
unlikely place for one to show up. I hope that someone stumbles upon this
incredible bird and gets photos of it.

Denny Granstrand

Denny Granstrand
Yakima, WA