Date: 2/7/18 6:14 pm
From: Kit Larsen <kit...>
Subject: [obol] Eugene Wednesday morning
On a beautiful sunny morning, we explored the recently publicized
Thurston Hills Natural Area from the Straub Parkway side. We parked at
the Quartz playground near Mt Vernon St, walked along the old
Weyerhauser road, then followed the graveled trail to the top. The
habitat is generally open, with open pastures to the south east and
thick blackberries along the trail, getting into mixed oak and conifer
habitat up higher. The birds were generally scarce. We were entertained
by vociferous Wrentits at the start. We had good looks at Hutton's Vireo
near the top. At the end, we were treated to a male Anna's Hummingbird
doing an aerial display with a fast descent from up high ending with a
pronounced click as it pulled out of the dive.

I am including Jim Regali's ebird submission, with a few of my own
additions.

15 California Quail
2 Bald Eagle
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
2 Red-tailed Hawk
4 Anna's Hummingbird
4 Northern Flicker
3 Hutton's Vireo
3 Steller's Jay
4 California Scrub-Jay
5 Black-capped Chickadee
1 Brown Creeper
1 Pacific Wren
2 Bewick's Wren
5 Golden-crowned Kinglet
4 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
3 Wrentit
5 American Robin
1 Varied Thrush
2 Cedar Waxwing
3 Fox Sparrow
5 Song Sparrow
4 Spotted Towhee

House Finch
Red-winged Blackbird
Eurasian Collared Dove
Golden-crowned Sparrow
American Crow

Kit Larsen
Eugene

with Jim Regali, Scott McNeeley, Pamela Carpenter, Tom Cable, Judy and
Stephen Franzen, Sara Vasconcellos, John Polo, and Steve Dignam

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!