Date: 2/7/18 5:45 pm
From: Linda Gilbert <oregonjunco...>
Subject: [obol] Lane Coast White-Winged Crossbill and Long-Tailed Duck
There is still at least one WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL in the flock that is in the vicinity of the South Jetty Siuslaw Road pay station. I arrived at 9 AM and a flock of about 25 crossbills were flying around and being harassed by a merlin. The merlin perched in a treetop south of the road and things got quiet. I walked up the hill behind the pay station in an attempt to look down on the trees and perhaps spot the birds hunkered down. One red crossbill popped up into a treetop and took a look around. Below it in the same tree was a male WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL. I got a full scope view of the top of the bird as he hung upside down feeding. Red/pink back and head with the bold white wing bars in full sunlight. Wow.

A male LONG-TAILED DUCK was just offshore diving in the surf about 1/4 mile south of the Stonefield Beach parking lot.

Linda Gilbert

Eugene

Join us on Facebook!