Date: 2/7/18 3:30 pm
From: Herbert Flavell <herb1013...>
Subject: Bird Nests
When we built our home here 30 years ago I collected all of the waste
PVC pipe. It was all 6 inches round and used to bury the electric and
water lines to the house.I cut them in 6 or 8 inch long pieces. Then
made a wooden plug for each end and filed a flat on the top and bottom
of each plug. Then screwed the plug on each side for cleaning> Then
drilled a hole in the front plug. I put them up 2 ways. One a screw
through the rear plug for the electric poles that run 1,000 feet a
crossed my land, I also took 2 eye hooks screwed into each wooden plug
and hung the bird house to a tree branch with a wire hanger. The flats
on the plug were to let water and hot air escape from the bird house. I
also built a community bird house that I hoped Martins would use. I used
metal coffee cans for that with wood covers and each can had an entry
hole> No Martins used it but many tree Swallows did till the Hurricane
of 2005 blew it over and destroyed it.The cans had rusted anyway so I
left it lying on the ground till I could burn it, Darned if the swallows
used it on the ground.I screwed one of the black PVC nest to my back
deck where its 12 feet off the ground, One day as I walked under the
deck a bird flew out and wacked me on the back of the head. A House
Wren. After that I walked faster under her nest. Then we put the Owl box
on a 12 foot 2x4 and installed it by the pond and waited for our Owl
that never came, But it has been used by a bird that is just as good. A
Kestrel has raised young in it since we put it up. She almost took my
head off to one day as she flew out as I walked by to sit on the bench
to feed the fish and Tillie the Snapping Turtle. I know she is a female
because I caught her laying eggs one day. Turtles make a big mistake
building their nests. The female will pee on the dirt where she wants
her nest. The pee loosens the dirt and she digs a hole to deposit her
eggs. Then she kick the dirt onto the eggs with her front and back feet.
Then back into the pond she went. But like I said she or they make a
mistake by peeing on the dirt. That night a Raccoon smelled the fresh
pee and dug up Tillies nest and ate her eggs. More than you needed to
Know right. One thing I forgot is that I now use Folgers plastic coffee
cans to make bird houses using one plug in the front with a flat top and
bottom. The back is screwed to wood posts with a washer to keep the
screw from breaking the plastic. You now do 2 things help eliminate
plastic in the land fills and raise birds every spring. I have pictures
if anyone is interested.

Herb Flavell Gods Knob, Milk Can Corners, Susquehanna County

Join us on Facebook!