Date: 2/7/18 2:12 pm
From: Scott Shalaway <000000721e9f3d5c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: regarding wren/chickadee nest box competition
I've been tending nest boxes in Oklahoma and West Virginia for nearly 40 years. An observation from Oklahoma in the early 1980s came to mind.

A pair of Eastern Bluebirds had built a nest in a box in late March. Before any eggs were laid, a Bewick's Wren built its nest on top of the bluebird nest. And then a Carolina Chickadee built its nest atop the wren nest. Finally, the bluebirds returned and took control. They fledged a brood of four chicks.

Also in Oklahoma I once found a cowbird egg in a Bewick's Wren nest in a nest box.

These were all one-time events. To see unusual things, spend lots of time in the field.

Scott Shalaway, Ph.D.
2222 Fish Ridge Road
Cameron, WV 26033
304-686-2630