Date: 2/7/18 10:50 am
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: TRUMPETER SWANS AT LAKE SEQUOYAH PARK, FAYETTEVILLE (aka, "Hope is a thing with feathers")
Five Trumpeter Swans are currently at Lake Sequoyah in Fayetteville. They’ve apparently been there since at least early February. I saw them this morning. They were foraging in shallows south of the bridge. The manager told me they have been staying consistently far out on the lake, probably 400 yards from where I set up my scope. After taking some not-so-good long-distance photos, I yakked with the manager for a while. While standing there, also saw an adult Bald Eagle and a male Bufflehead.

Seeing these birds, I am reminded of the efforts by Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, lead by waterfowl biologist Karen Rowe, who has released Trumpeters in the state in hopes they would imprint on a southern wintering ground. I am please AG and F has been willing to invest time, money, and effort in a project like this. Like restoration of Bald Eagle nesting in Arkansas, results can be pretty dramatic. I call it putting Nature back into the Natural State. Poet Emily Dickson put it this way: "Hope is a thing with feathers."

Join us on Facebook!