Date: 2/7/18 10:47 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Misc. observations 2/5/18 + additional comments
I also heard a Western Tanager call at North Lake last Friday, and forgot
to report it. There was one there last year as well, calling from the same
spot as this year's bird, high in eucs by the south steps off of JFK, and
away from the very vocal Nuttall's.

The Snowy Plovers have been at the foot of Irving each time I've checked on
them, this winter and last. Last year's storms rearranged the beach,
making it wider at Irving and narrower at Noriega, the old site. Luckily,
the birds are not restricted by eBird hot spots:) I tallied 44 Snowies on
1/12/18.

Brian Fitch

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Dominik Mosur <polskatata...>
[SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Just to clarify my comments regarding the Tanager reports, I'm not saying
> everyone reporting Tanager is confusing short calls of resident Nuttall's
> Woodpeckers with vocalizations of Tanagers, which are rare but somewhat
> regular in winter. Just urging caution with 'heard-only' birds and
> encouraging observers to try and get confirming looks as well as listen
> longer in case they have the same experience I did.
>
> Thanks for reading, good luck out there.
>
> Dominik
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!