Date: 2/6/18 8:03 pm
From: Jennifer Rycenga <gyrrlfalcon...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Antique Ornithological Publications available at the Sequoia Audubon Meetings
Inviting all birders to pick up some antique ornithological and conservation gems courtesy of Sequoia Audubon Society at our monthly meetings the second Tuesday of the month from February through June at the San Mateo Garden Center. Among some gems we found during our routine inventory of our storage area: original Smithsonian Institution editions of Bent’s Life Histories of North American Birds, copies of The Condor from 1915 – 1970’s, Audubon magazines from the mid-1940’s to mid 1960’s, and some pre-1940 government reports. There is more to these than you might think. There are both early stories of conservation losses, such as the demise of the once common Eskimo Curlew due to market hunting in Bent, to stories that were later conservation successes – such as discussions of the effects of DDT on non-target birds and mammals in early Audubon magazines that helped remove that chemical from the market. On the lighter side, for those looking for a unique gift for birders of a certain vintage, you can get them an Audubon magazine from the month and year of their birth. Education is part of our mission, and these old gems are not educating anyone staying in our storage locker. Free or donation gladly accepted.

Thanks to Doug Pomeroy for preparing this note and taking stock of these old publications!

Jennifer Rycenga
San Mateo, CA
visit http://birding.sequoia-audubon.org/
The San Mateo County Birding Guide