Date: 2/6/18 6:23 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Migratory Bird Act??
Jason,

Thanks for your informative posting on a topic that is (or should be) of
interest to all Oregon birders.

You shouldn't be apologizing. Yours is only a "non-birding post" in the
minds of birders who want to ignore the real dimensions of birding in
our time.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 is something that every birder
should know about, as it's had a huge impact on our opportunities to see
birds here in Oregon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migratory_Bird_Treaty_Act_of_1918

It's right up there with the Endangered Species Act, and perhaps more
important for birders since the latter only protects birds that are on
the verge of extinction.

In plain-speak, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act improves the odds of
adding more species to your state and county lists, every year, by
providing basic protections for EVERY migratory bird species in North
America.

I really can't imagine why any Oregon birder would consider this to be
"off-topic." Protection for migratory birds is a central issue for
Oregon birders.

Good birding,
Joel

Apologies for a non-birding post, but I thought if someone responded to
this it might not spin out of control. There are at least two Migratory
Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) issues out there, one in Congress and one by rule
making by the Department of the Interior. I suspect you are thinking
about the second, which changes the rules as to "incidental" taking of
a bird. Currently, the regulations prohibit such takings (without a
permit), which are when some legal activity harms birds but not
intentionally. For example, a wind turbine may kill eagles but not on
purpose, even if it is highly likely. As another example, windows in
your house are not intended to kill birds. Broadly speaking, the new
regulations would not apply to incidental takings.
--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

POST: Send your post to <obol...>