Date: 2/6/18 4:54 pm
From: William Young <wcyoung4242...>
Subject: [MDBirding] New Monticello Park Website and Mississippi Kite Video
MPNature is a new website about the nature in Monticello Park in Alexandria, Virginia. Ashley Bradford and I have created the website to aid birders and naturalists who come to the park. Many birders from DC and Maryland visit Monticello because it is one of the best places in the Washington metro area to see migrating songbirds during the spring.

The website features detailed write-ups about the migrant and resident birds seen in the park, with identification information, photos, early and late spring dates, the dates when each species is most commonly seen, audio and video links, and information about where to look for each species in the park.

MPNature contains printable daily bird checklists for April and May, based on 13 years of survey data collected by Tom Albright, so that you will know what species you might see on a particular date. Other features of the website include:

* Information and links in a dozen natural history categories
* Natural history essays by Eric Dinerstein
* A virtual tour of Monticello Park
* An interactive map to provide driving directions to the park
* Information about reaching the park by public transportation

You can visit the site by going to www.MPNature.com . MPNature remains a work in progress and will eventually expand to include other natural history material, including information about more than 100 species of trees and plants in the park.

Also, I have just finished making a video about the Mississippi Kites who nested next to Monticello Park last year. You can view the video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O1-SWtgdb0 or https://www.youtube.com/user/williamyoung42?feature=watch .

I hope you will come across the river and visit Monticello Park this spring.

Bill Young
Arlington, VA