Date: 2/6/18 4:01 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Oregon's Best Hummingbird Sites
I will add two suggestions. First is the residence by the main entrance at
Summer Lake WMA. It has close to a dozen feeders up. During the summer has
Rufous, Anna’s and Black-chinned Hummers. It gets the occasional Calliope
as well and I wouldn’t be surprised if it got Broad-tailed every once in a
while.

Second is Lower Tumalo Creek which is excellent for Calliopes in Bend during
the breeding season and also has a few Anna’s and Rufous, but it doesn’t
have any feeders (unless I put one up for photography purposes). It’s
accessed from one of two ways. The locale is the little lightbulb in the
upper right of the map. There is a trail from behind Aspen Hall that
follows the creek till you get to a diversion dam (the gray parking area you
see in the upper part of the picture just right of center – between where it
says “Stag Dr.” and the 9 block square at the extreme upper right). From
there either follow the dirt road till you see a bunch of willows and
elderberries, or continue on the Creekside trail till it opens up in the
willows. The Calliopes perch in the tops of these bushes. The other way to
get there is to drive from Bend on Newport Ave which turns into Shevlin Park
Road. Go past the entrance to Shevlin Park, go up the hill, turn right on
Lookout Drive and an immediate right on to Stag Drive. Then take the right
on a gravel road down the hill towards the gate and park. Walk down the
hill and you will be at the diversion dam. Last summer I had 6 pairs of
Calliopes on territory here plus Rufous and Anna’s in late summer.

Tom Crabtree, Bend