Date: 2/6/18 9:27 am
From: Arman Moreno <armanmoreno...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Elegant Trogon?
Good morning TexBirders,
Here's some details to help with your search for Elegant Trogon near Land
Park in New Bruanfels, TX (Comal County). On Sunday evening (2/4), the bird
was reported at this approx. location along the Panther Canyon Nature
Trail: 29.716838, -98.143364.

Yesterday, 2/5, around 2:55pm, we observed the bird about 1/10 of a mile
from Sunday's spot, closer towards the parking area at Landa Park:
29.71565,-98.14208. At around 5:10pm, the bird reappeared very near
Sunday's spot and was visible for over 15 minutes.

I've mapped both sightings here for illustration:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.71565,+-98.14208/29.716838,-98.143364/@29.7163197,-98.1441097,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!4m5!1m3!2m2!1d-98.14208!2d29.71565!1m0

To my knowledge, the sightings over the past two days have ranged between
these two points but the bird is likely moving around the entire vicinity.
We watched it fly up one of the dry creek washes up the hillside and out of
sight but it seems to return to the main trail area at various times
throughout the day. When the bird is sitting still, it can be very
difficult to locate. Several times, I knew where it had flown and took my
eyes off for a second and had trouble re-locating.

Good luck to everyone,
Arman Moreno
Austin, TX

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:36 AM, <christian.walker...> wrote:

> Well I am going down now will be looking for the bird around 1130. If
> anyone else is looking and finds it/doesn’t or wants updates text me at 512
> 431 2495
>
> > On Feb 6, 2018, at 10:02 AM, Sandi Templeton <wsllltx...> wrote:
> >
> > I was also planning to head that way from Houston today as well.
> >

> >> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:14 AM, Christian Walker <
> <christian.walker...> wrote:
> >>
> >> Has anyone looked for the trogon down in New Braunfels successfully or
> not this morning?
> >> I am home in Austin and was thinking of trying to see it with my family.
> >>
> >> Christian Walker
> >> Independent Adjuster
> >> Irving, Texas
> >> (512) 431-2495
> >>

> >> Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> >> http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >>
> >> Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
> permission
> >> from the List Owner
> >>

> Christian Walker
> Independent Adjuster