Date: 2/6/18 6:53 am
From: Steve Compton <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Red-shafted Flicker, Johns Island, SC
David,

Yes, I would note this subspecies in any eBird report or any other reporting. In my 39 years of birding in SC I don't recall ever seeing one. I have seen a lot of them out west and they are dramatically different. As you may know, they were once separate species. Maybe they will go the way of the "Northern Oriole" and be separated again one day.

Steve Compton
Greenville, SC

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
On 6 Feb 2018 9:39 am, David Gardner <carolinabirds...> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
> I'm not sure if this is note-worthy or not. It just happens to be the first time I've noticed this subspecies here in SC. Anyway, I was driving to work and saw a Flicker fly up from the roadside and fly about 100yards to a nearby group of trees. It was clearly a flicker with undulating flight and bright white rump. But what stood out as unusual was the color of the underwings. Bright orange-red. Reminiscent of the underside of a Ground Dove.
> I did not see the malar Stripe or other facial features to help cinch the ID, but thought you would all like to know.
> Here is where I saw it...
>
> 32°38'49.4"N 80°07'51.3"W
>
> Happy Birding,
> David