Date: 2/5/18 9:02 pm
From: 'Eddie Bartley' <eddie...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] NW SF today
Feb. 5, 2018: Very nice time birding with some Ohioans on this beautiful
summer day. Photographers so slow study mostly. Fort Mason was lovely but
nothing notable, then Crissy Lagoon then where we saw a flock of Canada with
one Snow Goose and one Ross's Goose taking flight towards GGP presumably
from Crissy Field. Spent mid-day in Marin Headlands where, from Rodeo Lagoon
area we had a first cycle Bald Eagle flying continuous flap towards SF, no
idea if it got there but maybe someone in SF saw it as well.

Early afternoon we did a quick lake tour of GGP where we hit the goose
jackpot at Spreckels Lake: Probably the same SNOW GOOSE, with the same
ROSS'S GOOSE with four GREATER-WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were hanging with and
occasionally being bullied by the usual bruiser mob of Canada Geese. Cackler
would have completed the bingo but no go. Also the RED-NECKED GREBE is
continuing and continually hunting during our visit.

A drop off looming we made our last stop North Lake and soon heard the
turbine wings of a Selasphorus Hummer by restrooms. Very active period
especially at the bird bathing native plantation stream inlet (SE side?) and
there was a male ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD perched pretty as you please. As we
hurried back to our ride a WESTERN TANAGER was calling along MLK. Didn't
have time to check for Orioles but it was very birdy throughout the 20
minutes we were there.

Happy Trails!

Eddie Bartley

Join us on Facebook!