Date: 2/5/18 4:57 pm
From: <kschnei1...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Interesting unidentified adult gull at S end of Ocean Beach (5 Feb)
Hi all,

I spent about two hours on a seawatch from the south end of Ocean Beach this morning from about 0715-0915. For a blissful 15 minutes or so, there was a decent gull flock loafing below my vantage point (across from the water treatment plant), before it was disrupted by the expected off leash dog.

I like gulls a lot, but it's not at all unusual for me to encounter immature birds that I can't identify. It's less often that I run across an adult that is difficult (OK, excepting some hybrid types :) ) - today, there was an adult Larus sp. that most closely resembled an American Herring Gull on a quick look, with relatively pale upper parts and a very pale iris. However, its legs lacked any pink tones and were mostly a pale yellowish color. I've posted photos to the NA Gulls Facebook page and so far have gotten a range of possible IDs, including non-local Herring Gull subspecies and, interestingly, California x Herring Gull, a rare hybrid combination. Photos are here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42519997 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42519997

I just wanted to put the word out there - if anyone is interested and comes across this bird, it would be cool if better photos, including flight shots and close ups of the head, were obtained.

Good birding!

Ken Schneider
Noe Valley

Join us on Facebook!