Date: 2/5/18 4:50 pm
From: James Phillips <jimandjudyphillips...>
Subject: great day for raptors!
Judy had another snow day(actually, this time because of ice) today and we
noticed that the county we live in was on 2 hour delay and neighboring
Monroe County schedule was normal. So, we headed to Gap Mills, bought lunch
and ate at a roadside rest at the base of Peters Mountain.
During our drive we kept a list of roadside raptors and ended up with a
really good count--
15 Red-tailed Hawks
14 American Kestrels
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
at least 23 Bald eagles, could have been more(all of these, but one, were
at the mouth of the Bluestone River on Bluestone Lake)
Non raptor event was the large number of American Robins and Cedar Waxwings
feeding in the red cedars.
Jim & Judy Phillips
Summers County
Pipestem, WV