Date: 2/5/18 12:48 pm
From: Jeffrey Short <bashman...>
Subject: Re: Hot Pepper on Bird Food
I have a THEORY that the oil may cause the seeds to look differently to the
birds. "...Passerine birds can detect colour differences that humans do not
register. This finer discrimination, together with the ability to see
ultraviolet light..." may suggest that the treated seeds may look
un-nutritional or resemble something unattractive.

Also, do you make the hot oil or buy it? Fresh oil may not be rancid or
have other chemicals to extract the "hot". I can provide some bhut jolokia
(aka "ghost") peppers if you want to give the squirrels a treat!

How about putting out 100 seeds each in two piles at the same time and count
them periodically to see if there is a difference between treated and
un-treated? Repeat as necessary.

Jeff Short