Date: 2/5/18 11:30 am
From: David Sarkozi <david...>
Subject: [texbirds] Good Birds at Imperial Reservoir
John O'Brian and I stopped at Imperial Reservoir (Pecos County)
yesterday on the way back from a quick west Texas trip. The lake is
backed with waterfowl right now. We tallied 16 species including all
three mergansers (Common (1), Red-breasted (1), Hooded (100+) ).
Greater Scaup seemed to outnumber Lesser Scaup.

Our best birds were a Thayer's type Iceland Gull. I think I recall a
Glaucous Gull being reported recently like but we ruled that out on
this bird because of the proportional small bill and the round head.
John may have some digiscope pictures.

We also had what we concluded was a Mountain Plover. I got some
extreme distance shots and John's digiscope shots may be better.

You can view our eBird checklist here:
https://ebird.org/tx/view/checklist/S42483099

There is no sign of entry allowed yet, but you can do a pretty good
job birding from the gate and from a few spots on the road with a
scope. I have heard tails of folks going in and waiting for someone to
approach them from the caretakers house and being granted permission,
but I personally feel uneasy about that. There were two trucks, a car
and three chopper style motorcycles and I counted 9 chairs around a
firepit. draw your own conclusions on the occupants of the house. The
door I saw that was kicked-in in November has had a rough repair done
to it.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX