Date: 2/5/18 11:21 am
From: Robert Mulvihill <robert.mulvihill...>
Subject: WRS Pittsburgh to Pymatuning
This Winter Raptor Survey was conducted on two dates as an educational
outreach tour of the National Aviary.

On each occasion fourteen observers plus myself counted birds from a
chartered, bright red, single-decker tour bus from the Pittsburgh Tour
Company (famous for their red double-decker bus tours!) Visibility was
excellent, and, best of all, we had up to 15 pairs of eyes spotting raptors!

Counties - Allegheny, Butler, Lawrence, Mercer, and Crawford

Date - 1/31/2018 and 2/3/18

Observers - Bob Mulvihill plus fourteen others.

Total time on route (excluding lunch etc.) Hours:Minutes- 4.5 hrs

Start time/End time - 9:00am/1:30pm

Miles on route - ca.100

Raptors counts (Jan 31/Feb 3)

Turkey Vulture - 2/0
Black Vulture- 0/0
Northern Harrier- 0/1
Red-tailed Hawk- 42/46
Rough-legged Hawk- 1/3 (1 light morph, 2 dark morph)
American Kestrel- 3/3
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1/0
Cooper's Hawk - 2/1
Red-shouldered Hawk- 1/4
Bald Eagle - 3/10
Northern Shrike - 0/1
Unidentified Raptors - 3/0

Total Species: 8/8
Total individuals: 57/69

Also seen: Five Snow Buntings at the Pymatuning Causeway on Feb. 3

We had great hot lunches (by special pre-arrangement) at Aunt Bee's in
Cochrantown on both days!

Note: I did make some slight route adjustments between our January 31 and
February 3 runs, and I likely will make a few more adjustments
before settling on a final route, so I consider this winter's surveys as
trial runs. Next winter we will finalize the route and incorporate the
results into the PSO's Winter Raptor Survey data set.

Robert S. Mulvihill
Ornithologist
National Aviary
700 Arch Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
412-258-1148
<Robert.mulvihill...> <Robert.mulvihill...>

*The National Aviary <http://www.aviary.org> works to inspire respect for
nature through an appreciation of birds.*

Join us on Facebook!