Date: 2/5/18 11:06 am
From: Rusty Scalf <rscalf...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Turkey Vultures - seasonal or not?
Turkey Vultures are complex and there seems to be radical differences
between populations.

There is a Turkey Vulture migration festival in the Kern Valley of
California when thousands go by:
http://www.kern.audubon.org/tvfest.htm

Here is a Youtube clip of TV's migrating through Costa Rica:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nkmDrJTsw

Yet they are quite numerous along coastal California all winter.

Here is a range map:
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/cath_aura_AllAm_map_1.gif
They are resident clear down to Tierra del Fuego

I wonder if during the last glacial retreat vultures pioneered north as
the ice melted, and  if those birds and their descendants retained their
migratory urge. Like Yellow Warblers.

And I wonder if birds along the more moderate Pacific Coast are
subsequent arrivals that dispersed north from Latin America and are more
sedentary in nature.

They'd make a great subject for a genetic study.

   Rusty Scalf