Date: 2/5/18 8:37 am
Subject: Feb. 3 Pelagic Birding off Hatteras
We ran a pelagic birding charter from Hatteras on Saturday Feb. 3. Nathan and Sarah Gatto recruited some birders from Forsyth County and other parts of North Carolina for a trip with us aboard the Stormy Petrel II. It was a great day for a winter boat trip. Altogether we saw over 5000 birds. The most abundant birds were Razorbill and Red-throated Loon. We also saw several hundred Bonaparte’s Gulls. We went a little father out to sea than last week, but we did not have to venture as far north because there was an extensive area of cold water south of Diamond Shoals. We found the edge of the Gulf Stream less than 20 nautical miles out and there was a good diversity of birds on a sharp temperature break there. Here’s a list of the “target birds” we found:

Northern Fulmar- 8
Manx Shearwater- 20
Red Phalarope- 1
Great Skua- 2
Dovekie- 25
Razorbill- 2515
Atlantic Puffin- 5
Black-legged Kittiwake- 1 im.
Little Gull- 2 ad.

We also saw several dozen Bottlenose Dolphins, one Humpback Whale, and four Loggerhead Turtles.

There is a trip report with photos on the Seabirding Blog: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__seabirding.blogspot.com_2018_02_saturday-2Dfebruary-2D3-2D2018-2Dby-2Dbrian.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=98Sb4eGly2QWv0C2FocUuAzx5bNkhNUXd6B-m-IiOt8&s=ar6Re65_39438UniYoJh6Cvtvqmxlwhs0ILj_TYfNwI&e=

We have open trips planned for the next three weekends: www.seabirding.com/

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC
www.seabirding.com