Date: 2/5/18 7:46 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] gull species in western Oregon, winter 17/18
My first impression is the low numbers of gulls overall, both inland and at the coast. As for quality, the dominance of Herring and Thayer's seems to be well established now. On the Port Orford CBC Tim and I counted a few 10s of gulls, and over half were Herring. As the season has progressed I've come to think of the default species as Herring, not Glaucous-winged. Many winters Glaucous-winged X Western dominate the flocks I examine around Portland. The samples lately have been very small, but closely reflect Phil's experience at Tillamook this weekend: very few Olympic Gulls (G-wing X West.) and almost no sub-adults, but lots of Thayer's, of which there are plenty of 1st year birds. I also am detecting Herring X G-wing at a higher frequency than past experience, mostly 1st year birds. lpn

Join us on Facebook!