Date: 2/5/18 7:40 am
Subject: Re: Tufted Duck on Bulls not seen today
Having seen a number of Tufted Ducks in Newfoundland and on Adak I
can tell you that weather conditions and lighting can make the color
of the birds vary quite a bit as Dr. Hill pointed out. The SC photos
taken were from a distance and in poor light. I can't see anything
from those photos that would not make it a Tufted Duck. Again, I am
not part of the committee making the decision and do hope better
photos can be taken. That said, I hope the Facebook comments were
made by a person that has seen a number of these birds in multiple
lighting situations (like I have) at a distance (in Adak like I have)
or almost stepping on them at Quidi Vidi Lake in St. John's
Newfoundland (like I have) and not just making an arm-chair judgement
based on the photos and a field guide.

Chris Feeney
Martinez, GA

On 2/4/18, Christopher Hill <carolinabirds...> wrote:
> I admit that my previous post was a “Do as I say, not as I do” comment - I’m
> bad at sketching, probably ordinary at writing descriptions and I don’t
> carry a smart phone so unless I have an additional voice recorder with me, I
> can’t do voice recording. I’m sure many of the readers do much better than
> I. But I do carry a field notebook 95% of the time when birding and will
> write descriptions for significant records or birds I am uncertain of in the
> field *while I’m looking at them.* And I’m on the SC bird records committee
> so I especially appreciate it when others supply good descriptions.
>
> Chris Hill
> Conway, SC

Join us on Facebook!