Date: 2/5/18 7:23 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Glaucous-winged Gullamook
Over 10 years ago I was on a Tillamook CBC with Bill Thackaberry and Fred Ramsay when Bill Called a Glaucous Gull in flight at a dairy about 1 mile south of Tillamook  It disappeared behind the barn but we subsequently found it on the barn roof.  It was the first of about 4 I have seen in Oregon, so I think they are not o rare that we need to think they are all the same bird.

Wayne
On 2/4/2018 8:21:56 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
Hi-
I posted a photo of an adult Glaucous in a field right off Hwy 8 about 3 miles east of Tillamook
a few years ago.  (The year of the report of the Steller's Eider in Netarts Bay which brought
me over there.)  Wonder if it could be the same bird.  My photos were too distant for a good
view.
Bob OBrien

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM, Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> [mailto:<whoffman...>]> wrote:

Hi, Phil -

I think that with regular inspection the Tillamook dairy pastures would yield a lot of interesting gulls - also maybe Rusty and Yellow-headed blackbirds, winter Cowbirds, etc.

Interesting that that area/farm on Yellow Fir  is still attracting gulls.  Maybe they spread manure frequently.
.
I have attached a photo of the adult Glaucous. - maybe a little overexposed.

Wayne

On 2/4/2018 5:21:45 PM, Phil Pickering <philliplc...> [mailto:<philliplc...>]> wrote:
I spent some time Saturday (2/3) around mid day and again
this morning (2/4) pasture birding east/south of Tillamook,
mostly trying to sort gulls while fighting visibility in heavy drizzle.
There are conservatively at least 4000 gulls using pastures
in the area widely spread in various spots, with 2000+ seen in
multiple spots along McCormick Loop. Didn't notice anything
rare.

Flocks were dominated by uniformly pure-looking, mostly adult
Glaucous-winged, sampling 60% or more. Interestingly Thayer's
were easily the 2nd most numerous at 15-25%, with lesser numbers
of Mew, Herring, and G-w hybrids (Olympic or G-w x Herring)
mixed in. Only saw a handful of Western and Cal and only noticed
1 Ring-billed. The Thayer's were more mixed age-wise than the G-w
with many being juv.

Best moment was a drive up mixed group of 300 in the parking
area/puddles leading to the UPS Center off of Long Prairie Road
that allowed very close scope study.

Also multiple impressive but distant blackbird flocks. Scanned for
large falcons but only saw damp-looking Eagles.

On the way up on Saturday at or near the spot where Wayne
Hoffman stopped on 1/15 in a small pasture adjacent/west of
101 between Yellow Fir and Old Mill Roads there was a flock
of 200 gulls including presumably the same 1st-cycle Glaucous
he found and at least 70 Thayer's. No luck with the adult
Glaucous.

Also on the way Sat. a flock of 9 Semipalmated Plovers pretending
to be Killdeer in a 101 pasture just south of the Little Nestucca.

Phil

Join us on Facebook!