Date: 2/5/18 5:48 am
From: Lovelace, Glen (DelDOT) <Glen.Lovelace...>
Subject: [MDBirding] RE: Saturday 2/3 in Somerset
Good morning,
OK, this time with text. Sorry.

I spent Saturday in Somerset County with the twofold purpose of searching for Snowy Owls and rounding out my county list for diving ducks. I began the day at Deal and ended at Rumbley Point, but the idea of the marsh being productive failed with the morning low of 11 and the marshes being frozen all day. Despite lots of searching and scanning, no Snowy Owls were to be found.
The waterfowl was more productive. I found Surf Scoter at several locations with the most (about 40) from the Deal Island boat ramp. Also here was a single flyby Long-Tailed Duck. Later in the day there was another at the ferry terminal in Crisfield. The best spot was the end of Revells Neck Rd with a flock of 75 Canvasback, 125 Lesser Scaup, 200 Ruddy Duck and the ubiquitous Buffleheads. The only Red-breasted Mergs of the day were at the Town of Rumbley boat ramp.
Dabbling ducks were harder to find due to the freezeout. There were a dozen Blue-winged Teal lounging in the little pond on Messick Road (near the Dames Quarter boat ramp). The most variety was at the end Riley Roberts in the channel downstream (Pintail, Gadwall, Black). Also a single Horned Grebe from Ape Hole Rd (which I include just for the sake of saying ‘Ape Hole Rd’)
Finally, I searched through gulls during the day and only found the usual suspects until locating 2 Lesser Black-backs at Wellington Beach in Crisfield.

Good birding,
Glen Lovelace III
Seaford, DE